5 Surprising Reasons To Quit Hormonal Birth Control
After being on birth control for many years and not knowing any of the side effects my worst issues started when I went off it. For too many years I had covered up serious hormone issues and weakened my body by taking the pill daily.
1. The birth control pill commonly comes with side affects like nausea, mood changes, decreased libido, spotting between periods and a lot of women also develop depression from the fluctuation in natural hormones. The constant altering of hormones in the body comes with a lot more issues than just a little weight gain. Apart from the common side effects, taking birth control comes with a serious risk of blood clots, cardiovascular disease, strokes and cancer. Anyone with a family history of blood clots should not take the birth control pill. Especially those who sit for many hours at a time are at a higher risk of blood clots. Women who are obese, smoke or have diabetes should not take birth control pills.
2. Using the birth control pill longterm has damaging effects on the digestive system. Good gut health is directly related to having a strong immune system, which is why probiotic and prebiotic foods are so important. Having bad gut bacteria increases the chances of yeast overgrowth and it inhibits the proper absorption of nutrients.
3. Another reason for nutrient deficiencies apart from bad gut health is that the liver needs an increased amount of zinc, magnesium, selenium, vitamin C, vitamins B2, B3, B6, B12 and folate to metabolize the estrogen and move it out of the body. If the body has just one deficiency it can have a huge impact on overall health.
4. Many women start taking the pill to improve their skin, relief period pains or to regulate cycles instead of trying to find and treat the root cause of these symptoms. Not having a regular cycle is the main indicator that there is something wrong with the body, which should never be ignored. The body lowers its progesterone production as a self protection mechanism, when it does not feel like its able to keep a baby alive. When masking up these serious symptoms we lose the ability to listen to our bodies and may even miss other signs that there is severe underlying issues.
5. When it comes to food a lot of people are fully aware of how harmful added hormones are. Health-conscious people are trying to avoid milk and meat with added hormones. Essentially taking the birth control is very similar to eating those foods, as all of them contain synthetic hormones. Synthetic hormones are not identically matched to those made naturally by the body, which means that they do not act the same as human hormones in the body. This leads to long term health issues, such as infertility, caused by damage of the cervical crypts which produce cervical fluid. Increased oestrogen can trigger autoimmune disease such as lupus and also impact bone density.