5 Tips How To Make Oil Pulling Work
Oil pulling is an incredibly simple method that has so many great benefits, it kills bacteria and removes other harmful organisms from the mouth. While it is not only beneficial for oral health, it can also relieve migraines, help with hormone imbalances, reduce inflammation and detoxify the body of heavy metals. For me personally oil pulling has helped to improve my oral health, strengthened my teeth and every time I do the oil pulling method my teeth feel incredibly clean. After my last post about oil pulling, I received the feedback that it is difficult for some people to keep oil inside their mouth for more than a few minutes without gagging. In this post I have put together a list of five tips that will hopefully make oil pulling a little easier.
1. Using oils other than coconut oil for those who do not like the taste of coconut. There are many different alternatives that can be used such as olive oil, sesame oil, sunflower oil, grapeseed oil, almond oil and pumpkin seed oil. I personally prefer coconut oil due to the bacteria-fighting ingredient called auric acid. However other oils also have beneficial ingredients. Olive oil reduces inflammation and is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids. Sesame oil, grapeseed oil, pumpkin seed oil and sunflower oil are all filled with antioxidants and high in vitamin E. Almond oil contains vitamin E, potassium and zinc. Peanut and macadamia oil taste exactly like the nuts, so this might be an alternative for those who enjoy eating them.
I try to use organic, unrefined, cold-pressed whenever possible, because the less the oil is processed the higher the quality and nutrients are. When oils are cold-pressed it means that they are pressed under controlled temperature. Unrefined oils are pressed under minimal heat, which have not been bleached or deodorised.
2. Oil pulling should be done for at least 20 minutes at a time, so instead of just standing in the bathroom it is good to stay busy, meditating, watching youtube videos, checking out instagram, washing, cleaning, putting on a face mask, showering or doing other chores. The time will pass a lot faster if you distract yourself.
3. Making convenient oil bites with peppermint oil has helped me to stick with my routine. For the oil bites I use 1/2 cup coconut oil and 1-3 drops of peppermint essential oil (or any other). I place my coconut oil in a hot water bath until it melts, I then add the peppermint oil and fill them into a silicone tray. After 10-20 minutes in the fridge I put the bites into a jar and store them in temperatures under 24 degrees.
4. Using the right amount of oil is an important factor when first starting, using too much oil at once may be overwhelming and cause a faster gagging reflex. Brushing your teeth with coconut oil at the beginning may help to get used to the taste, otherwise I recommend starting off with 1 teaspoon and slowly increasing to 1 tablespoon.
5. Adding different essential oils. This can not only help with the taste, but each oil also has additional benefits. When using essential oils it is important to dilute them properly, 1 drop of oil should be diluted with one tablespoon of carrier oil (coconut, olive, sesame etc.) minimum. Peppermint oil is especially strong so it may be best to dilute 1 drop of peppermint oil with 3 tablespoons of coconut oil.
peppermint: freshens breath and improves gum health
lemon: whitens teeth
frankincense, tea tree, oregano: all have purifying properties, good for gum health
All oils are available on iHerb and most of them are also shipping savers that help to decrease shipping cost. For everyone living in the UAE a wide variety of essential oils is also sold at Organic foods and cafe and Neal’s yard.