My Oral Health Routine
When I did my research about toxins in personal hygiene products I knew that I had to make a lot of changes in my bathroom. While wanting to avoid all endocrine-disruptors it was also important to me not having to compromise with my oral health, which is why I am very happy the products that I have found eventually and that I will share with you in this post.
1. Starting with what is probably the least crunchy item in my bathroom: my electric toothbrush. I personally prefer electric toothbrushes, after brushing my teeth I feel as if I just came from a dentist cleaning and no manual toothbrush can compete. I use Philipp’s Diamond clean toothbrush by sonicare. In my opinion this is the best electric toothbrush currently on the market. In UAE it is sold at Virgin.
2. When buying disposable toothbrushes for guests or travel I like to buy products made of sustainable materials, so I use a bamboo toothbrush when I travel. Bamboo toothbrushes are sold online and at Organic foods and cafe in UAE.
3. Spry’s toothpaste is my absolute favourite fluoride-free toothpaste. I only use fluoride-free products, because I believe that added fluoride is incredibly toxic and may cause birth defects, cancer and many other diseases. I spent a lot of time and money on finding the perfect toothpaste, because most of the fluoride free toothpastes I tried either had an awful taste or consistency. I order my toothpaste on iHerb.
4. I use two different brands of mouth wash, the Spry’s mouthwash I use on a daily basis. I like the alcohol free mouth wash and both the cool mint and spearmint flavour. My tongue is very sensitive to certain foods, so when I do have a reaction I use the trace mineral mouth wash.
5. My tongue scraper is one of my favourite products, it cleans the tongue very efficiently by removing the coating of microbes and mucus. Most of the coating is at the back of the tongue, so I make sure to reach as far as possible and repeat scarping until nothing comes off the scraper anymore and my tongue is completely clean. I have found that that plastic-free tongue scrapers are a lot more efficient, they are available on iHerb.
6. I like using dental floss that is more of a band rather than a string, so I usually stick with dessert essence tea tree floss. The floss is without dyes or any other toxic chemicals. Dessert essence dental floss is available on iHerb.
7. Oil pulling is a method that is part of my daily routine. Coconut oil pulling is an incredibly simple method that has so many great benefits, it kills bacteria and removes other harmful organisms from the mouth. While it is not only beneficial for oral health, it can also relieve migraines, help with hormone imbalances, reduce inflammation and detoxify the body of heavy metals. To read more about the benefits of oil pulling click here.